Activation at Mill Bluff State Park

Last Saturday morning, (October 8th, 2022) I was at Mill Bluff State Park, K-1463 to try for an activation.   Mill Bluff is a very nice park, not too far from home, that I often enjoy for hiking.    Its unique geological features make it a part of the Ice Age National Scientific Reserve.     The trail around Camel Bluff is a pretty hike any time of year, the Nature Trail around the base of Mill Bluff is short, pleasant, and partially handicap-accessible, and the 223 steps on the stairway to the top of Mill Bluff offer great exercise as well as some fine views.   On a hot summer day, it's nice to refresh after hiking with a quick swim in the pond near the campsites. 

I operated from the top of Mill Bluff on Field Day 2022 a few months ago.


 Near the picnic shelter at one of the trailheads I found a table with two convenient trees, where I quickly set up the Xiegu X6100 and the simplest of wire antennas; 2 pieces of #26 silicone-covered wire on the ever-popular BNC-to-binding-post adapter.    I had scheduled the activation the previous evening with a start time of 7:30 AM local time (1230Z) on 20 meters SSB, and I was hoping that this bit of forethought might get some hunter attention.     I started CQing ... and CQing ... and CQing, to no response.    Finally, in tuning around for an empty spot, I found another activator and gave a call, getting a reply after a few tries and making my first QSO of the day.

To make a long story short, I made my total of 12 QSOs entirely park-to-park with other activators, all of them by replying to the other stations CQ or QRZ, and none by my own efforts at CQing!     Thanks to everyone I contacted for patiently working with me and my tiny faint signal, and special congratulations to KS4KY for his 3-fer operation in Georgia!

A couple of the louder activator stations absolutely had pileups worthy of rare DX which I was unable to get through with my QRP signal, even by punching the power up to 10 watts.     

In this picture you can sort of see the pack of three 18650 batteries that I have been using as external power for the X6100, whose internal batteries have been kind of a disappointment, so far.    I have 3 more loose 18650s that I can also use, and I am going to start carrying them, too.     Running out of battery power has been a serious limiting factor for me in portable operating, and I don't feel like I really have a good solution yet.

My antenna was two 17 foot lengths of wire, a classic dipole, fed directly from the BNC adapter: here are a couple of low-quality photos from previous operations to illustrate it:

I found the winder on Thingiverse last year and made a few 3D prints of it.     I have all of them in use now; I need to find the files and print a few more!

Really out-of-focus, but this is the whole thing, laid out at the observation deck on the top of the bluff:


I just finished building an EFHW coupler kit from QRPguys, which I will be using in the field soon.    When I do, I'll post a short review.

All in all a fun day of (chilly) portable operating!       Hoping to do it again soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Field Day 2022

My first POTA activation

Plenty of EFHW kits!